Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Comrade Superman

 Superman: Red Son
By: Mark Millar and Dave Johnson
What if the Last Son of Krypton had landed in Soviet Russia?
The answer to this question makes for great storytelling.
I think i just realized the purpose of blogs. I just read this book and I wanted to talk with someone about it. But it's after midnight. All my friends are asleep. Suddenly I remember this dusty old, sadly neglected blog. Yes! I can post about this great thing I just read and satiate my hunger for a dialogue on literature for the time being. Blogs are here to help excited people quiet their minds so they can get to sleep easier.
 
While I'm on a Superman related post, here is a short list of good Superman books. These books made me appreciate a character that I had previously written off as flat and uninteresting. The staggering majority of Superman material out there had supported my young mind's suppositions. However, the authors of the following books have proven that any character, in the hands of a capable creator, can be used to tell a good super story.

All-Star Superman
By: Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
Far and away the best Superman story ever told.
Grant Morrison is a literary virtuoso.
Here he makes a good point about how folks often miss the point.

Superman: Birthright
By Mark Waid and Leinil Francis Yu
The best iteration of Superman's origin told so far.
Kingdom Come
By Mark Waid and Alex Ross.
A good future-of-the-DC-universe story with solid, accessible artwork.

Also, check out Alan Moore's Superman stories... because he is a magical wizard.
 Also, this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Or not. Whatevs.